Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine – Patient Care and Treatment
- General anesthesia: We provide clinical anesthesia services for surgery, including all elective and emergent surgeries and diagnostic procedures that require deep sedation or general anesthesia.
- Alternate site anesthesia: Patient assessments as well as diagnostic and therapeutic clinical services can be provided outside the traditional operating room setting.
- Anesthesia Pre-Admission Clinic: During your preoperative visit, we will carefully evaluate your medical problems, obtain any additional information that may be needed from your family doctor or other hospitals, and order any necessary consultations or laboratory studies.
- Cardiac and vascular anesthesia: The cardiac and vascular anesthesia team provides anesthesia for cardiothoracic surgery and vascular procedures including heart and lung related surgery, and heart transplantation and heart-assist device implantation. Anesthetic delivered directly to the spinal cavity is available for post-operative pain control.
- Chronic pain management: Chronic pain is persistent pain that affects a patient's physical and emotional well-being. When persistent pain can’t be reduced by conventional medical treatment or conventional physical therapy, the patient becomes a candidate for comprehensive pain management.
- Critical care: Critical care provides attending coverage in the surgical intensive care unit, the neuroscience intensive care unit, and limited attending coverage in the heart and vascular intensive care unit.
- ENT anesthesia: The management of anesthesia for patients having ENT surgery presents numerous challenges for anesthesiologists. We support procedures ranging from tonsillectomies to major head and neck tumor resections.
- Neuroanesthesia: The neuroanesthesia team cares for patients who require either diagnostic or surgical procedures for intracranial (inside the head) and spinal diseases or conditions.
- Obstetrical anesthesia: Our team provides anesthesia coverage of the labor and delivery unit 24 hours a day, every day of the week. We’re involved in the management of labor pain and high-risk pregnancies and are also available for pre-delivery consultations.
- Orthopaedic anesthesia: We provide anesthesia for orthopaedic procedures at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
- Outpatient anesthesia: Learn more about the services offered at the Hershey Outpatient Surgical Center.
- Regional anesthesia and acute pain management: Patients referred for surgical or obstetric procedures have the benefit of an in-house around-the-clock acute pain management service. The goal is to provide patients with the possibility of a comfortable and stress-free hospital experience.
- Transplant anesthesia: We provide specialized care for adults and pediatric patients undergoing liver, kidney, and pancreas transplantations.
- Uro-oncology: We’re responsible for the anesthetic care of patients undergoing urological surgery. This ranges from simple cystectomy to complex urogenital surgical procedures.
- Pediatric anesthesia: Visit Penn State Children’s Hospital to learn about our pediatric services.