Bone and Joint Institute – Patient Care and Treatment
When it comes to bone and joint conditions, no two patients are alike. Our specialists develop a specific treatment and rehabilitation plan that best meets each patient's needs.
Make an appointment
To schedule an appointment, call us at 717-531-5638
Services we provide
Learn more about our services below, or download our brochure (PDF).
- Foot and ankle: We provide comprehensive management of a broad range of foot and ankle problems. Every year we see over 5,000 patients, and perform over 600 foot and ankle surgeries.
- General orthopaedics: Our experienced orthopaedists evaluate and treat a broad cross section of patients with musculoskeletal disorders.
- Hand and wrist: Our multidisciplinary approach includes surgeons, rheumatologists, musculoskeletal radiologists, and therapists who work together to treat hand and upper extremity dysfunction that arise from arthritis, trauma, and more.
- Hip and knee joint arthroplasty: Our surgeons offer a range of pain relieving procedures including joint preservation surgery, partial knee replacement, total joint arthroplasty, and complex revision surgery. We perform more than 1,000 joint replacement procedures each year.
- Hip preservation: Our Healthy Hip Program provides the region's only advanced and comprehensive clinic dedicated to diagnosing and managing hip pain. Our team of experts includes specialists from orthopaedic sports medicine, orthopaedic trauma, pediatric orthopaedics, radiology, and primary care sports medicine.
- Infectious diseases: Our board-certified experts in infectious diseases provide inpatient and outpatient consultations on complicated, unusual, or difficult to manage infections.
- Orthopaedic oncology: The oncology group employs a strong multidisciplinary approach to the diagnosis, treatment, and reconstruction of benign, malignant, and metastatic tumors affecting the musculoskeletal system of children and adults. The team includes fellowship-trained subspecialists from orthopaedics, radiology, pathology, adult and pediatric oncology, and radiation therapy. We perform more than 150 surgical procedures each year.
- Osteoporosis: In osteoporosis, bones become thin and are more likely to break. Bones most often affected are in the hip, spine, and wrist, but ribs and other bones are also at risk. Our physicians may suggest a bone density scan for patients in a high-risk group to determine if some form of treatment to prevent or treat osteoporosis is needed. This is especially true for women around menopause when estrogen levels fall. There are several techniques for measuring bone density and they are safe and painless. Learn more about osteoporosis and estimate your risk.
- Pediatric orthopaedics: We have the advanced training necessary to treat neuromuscular disorders such as muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, spinal deformities in children and adolescents, complex limb deformities, scoliosis, and limb length discrepancies. U.S.News and World Report has listed our program in the top 50 orthopaedics centers for children.
- Podiatry: We have a team of podiatrists to serve patients with both common and complex foot issues.
- Primary care sports medicine: Our primary care sports medicine specialists have extensive experience and training in non-operative musculoskeletal care for both children and adults, including injections, splinting/casting, and more.
- Rheumatology: Penn State Hershey Rheumatology physicians diagnose and treat arthritis, immune disorders of muscles, connective tissue diseases, and a variety of soft tissue inflammatory conditions.
- Shoulder and elbow: In addition to being board-certified orthopaedic surgeons, physicians on the shoulder and elbow team are fellowship-trained in all aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery. Our expertise includes arthroscopic surgery, treatment of sports injuries, total joint replacement of the shoulder and elbow, and fractures.
- Spine services: Our comprehensive Spine Center will meet all your back and neck pain needs with experts available from neurosurgery, orthopaedics, pain management, radiology, rehabilitation, physiatry, and therapy. We work with you to determine the best course of treatment for your condition.
- Sports medicine: We offer one of the most comprehensive sports medicine programs in central Pennsylvania, and provide expert opinions from fellowship-trained clinicians in all areas of sports medicine, including orthopaedic surgery, neurology, and dermatology, among others.
- Trauma: We specialize in the treatment and management of the most difficult fractures and dislocations and their sequelae as well as limb salvage and restoration of function following orthopaedic trauma. We are also a regional resource for surgeons challenged by complex orthopaedic trauma reconstruction cases.
We’d love to hear about your experience at the Bone and Joint Institute. Call our comment line: