Penn State Colon and Rectal Surgery provides advanced and effective medical care, including state-of-the-art diagnostic capabilities, the latest drug therapies, and leading-edge surgical techniques for benign and malignant colorectal disease.
Our faculty, clinicians, and researchers have been recognized nationally, ranking in the top 50 for GI and GI surgery by U.S.News and World Report in the 2017-2018 Best Hospital Rankings.
From treating cancer and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to performing advanced diagnostics and robotic surgery, our colorectal team is one of the largest and most experienced in Pennsylvania. Based at the region's premier academic medical center, we have the medical, surgical, and support services needed to provide you with the most comprehensive colorectal care.
We have an active clinical and basic science research program, including a research laboratory that has studied IBD for nearly 20 years. As a patient, you’re offered participation in research trials that provide the possibility of newer therapies and opportunities to further the team's understanding of colorectal diseases.
- One of only five hospitals in the country to receive an “exemplary rating” in death or serious complication after colorectal surgery, based on data reported by the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program*
- Nearly 70 years of combined dedicated colorectal surgery experience
- Five board-certified surgeons form one of the largest, most experienced, and most comprehensive colorectal surgery groups in the state
- Perform approximately 1,000 surgical cases each year
- One of only a few hospitals in the country to perform single-site laparoscopy for colorectal cancer and IBD
- Perform more minimally-invasive surgeries than any other colorectal group in the central Pennsylvania area including laparoscopic, single site, and robotic surgery.
*Based on national data reported on Medicare’s Hospital Compare website (April 2015)