Heidi L. Frankel, M.D.
Heidi L. Frankel is the Chief of the Division of Trauma -Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center where she also serves as the Director of the Shock Trauma Center. Prior to her appointment at Penn State, Dr.Frankel served as the Director of Surgical Critical Care and the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center where she was a Professor of Surgery and previously at the Yale New Haven Hospital where she was an Associate Professor of Surgery. She started her academic career at the University of Pennsylvania as an Assistant Professor in the Division of Traumatology. Dr. Frankel is an active member of the Eastern Association of the Surgery of Trauma and the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. She serves on the Council and as Past President of the Surgical Section of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the National Ultrasound Faculty of the American College of Surgeons where she is the Vice Chair for Education and a member of the national Committee on Trauma. She has authored three books and numerous articles in areas of trauma and ICU ultrasound and performance improvement. Dr. Frankel is married to John Plessner, a Lutheran minister, and they enjoy ballroom dancing and traveling in their spare time.
- Resuscitation of Major Injury and Illness
- Operative Care of Adult Trauma
- Surgical Emergencies (Appendicitis, Complex Abdominal Cases)
- ICU Care of Injured and Ill Patients
- Core Resident and Student teaching awards, UT Southwestern
- Charlene J. Smith Endowed Professor of Surgery
- Reducing Deaths Due to Oxidative Stress (REDOXS)
- Role of pre-injury statins on inflammatory profiles in traumatic brain injury
- Ultrasound- Guided Resuscitation in Trauma/ ICU
- Use of progesterone in traumatic brain injury patients