Alexander Payatakes, M.D.
- Hand & Wrist Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
Alexander Payatakes, MD is an Orthopaedic Surgeon specialized in Hand, Wrist, Upper Extremity Surgery and Microsurgery.
Dr. Payatakes attended Medical School at the University of Crete and the University of Patras in Greece. He obtained his MD in 1994, graduating in the top 5% of his class. He completed his residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University Hospital of Ioannina. In 2005 he was certified in Orthopaedic Surgery in Greece and the European Union, and received his PhD from the University of Ioannina in 2006. He received U.S. Medical Licensure certification and in 2006 he completed a one-year clinical fellowship in Hand, Upper Extremity, and Microvascular Surgery at the Duke University Medical Center. In 2007 he completed a one-year clinical and academic fellowship in Hand, Elbow, and Shoulder Surgery at the Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. In 2008 he was accepted as Assistant Professor at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and appointed to the Hand and Wrist Service of the newly formed Bone and Joint Institute. Since January 2008 he has maintained a busy clinical practice managing the complete spectrum of hand and wrist pathology (see Clinical Interests).
Dr. Payatakes has been academically active throughout his career. He has published articles in peer-reviewed international journals and articles in Hellenic journals as well as textbook chapters (see Curriculum Vitae)
- Arthritis of the Hand & Wrist
- Carpal Tunnel
- Congenital Disorders Hand
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren’s disease
- Fractures and Arthritis
- Tendinopathies (trigger, DeQuervain’s, epicondylitis)
- Tendon, nerve, and vascular injuries
- Wrist arthroscopy
- Assistant Professor
- 2015 HCAHPS Dean's List for Patient Satisfaction for scoring in the 99th percentile among providers nationwide
- Best Free Paper: Thoracoplasty for Correction of Rib Deformity in Patients with Scoliosis. 57th Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, Greece 2001
- Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Vincent D. Pellegrini, Jr., M.D. Teaching Award 2010
- FYTD 2016HCAHPS Inpatient Dean's List Extraordinary Patient Satisfaction for scoring in the 99th percentile among providers nationwide
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Member of the Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
- Member of the Piedmont Orthopaedic Society