Gastroenterology and Hepatology
The Division of Gastroenterology is dedicated to excellence in patient care, research, and education. The division provides a high level of expertise in a care team model and multidisciplinary care.
- Several specialty services, from advanced therapeutic endoscopy to treatment for liver disorders
- More than 21 physicians specializing in gastroenterology
- 4 of these physicians are board certified in hepatology and transplant.
In addition to extensive resources available to our patients for general gastrointestinal conditions, the division provides specialized expertise with the highest quality available.
- General endoscopy, including high-quality screening colonoscopy
- A complete range of interventional endoscopy services
- A complete range of treatments for acute and chronic liver disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Motility and functional bowel disease
- Women's health and pelvic floor disease
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Celiac disease
Other referral center programs include:
- Liver transplantation, including a living related donor program
- Novel therapies for pelvic floor dysfunction
- State-of-the-art, innovative interventional endoscopy, including EUS-guided tumor ablation, per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEMS), EMR-ESD, and natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES)
The division has had long-standing collaborations with our surgical colleagues including colorectal surgery, surgical oncology, pediatric gastroenterology, minimally invasive surgery, and gynecology.
Through the Penn State College of Medicine, we offer educational programs for medical students, residents, and gastroenterology and hepatology fellows in training. We also offer continuing medical education (CME) for physicians, nurses, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners.
In combination with basic science, translational, and clinical research, we hope to forge new therapies for the better care of our patients. I hope you find our website informative.