Top experts in clinical neuroscience
Scientists everywhere want to know more about the human brain and how it works. The Penn State Neuroscience Institute makes it possible for teams of brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerve experts to conduct research together. The Institute also encourages teaching, to share new care methods that come from research.
We want patients with neurological (nervous system) and psychiatric (mental) diseases to benefit from new treatments. Scientists and medical professionals who know more can do more for their patients and the world of medicine.
The Penn State Neuroscience Institute has an ambitious goal. We want to be known around the world as a Center for Excellence in research, patient care and teaching. Our network includes The Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine, as well as institutions like us throughout Pennsylvania.
The Institute works to:
- Assure excellence in basic and clinical research studies that increase our understanding of the normal and diseased brain.
- Promote the translation of research findings into new treatments for neurological disease, such as, brain tumors, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease and stroke.
- Improve the care of patients with neurological and neurobehavioral diseases, such as, confused mental states, Alzheimer’s disease and abnormal behaviors.
- Provide a rich intellectual environment, so those studying neuroscience have the best possible educational experience.
Penn State Neuroscience Institute administration
Robert E. Harbaugh, MD, FAANS, FACS, FAHA
University Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Neurosurgery
Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- Colin J. Barnstable, DPhil – Chair, Department of Neural and Behavioral Science
- Erika F. H. Saunders, MD – Chair, Department of Psychiatry
- Krishnankutty Sathian, MD, PhD - Chair, Department of Neurology
- David R. Gater, Jr., MD – Chair, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Robert E. Harbaugh, MD – Chair, Department of Neurosurgery
- Ron V. Cummins, Jr., MBA- Vice President, Operations
- B. Joy Zeager – Operations Director
Neuroscience Centers of Excellence
The Penn State Neuroscience Institute is organized into Centers of Excellence that address our missions of education, research, patient care and community outreach. Active Centers and Centers in Development include:
Become a member of the Institute
Membership at Penn State Neuroscience Institute is open to all faculty, residents, fellows and students who have a demonstrated interest in neuroscience research, education or patient care.
Members of our Institute are also members of Penn State Institute of the Neurosciences at University Park.
Contact Kristi Fetterolf at email@example.com for membership information.