Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Patient Education and Resources
Learn more about your condition
For the best patient experience, we want you to be well informed.
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center resources
- Health Information Library – Find medical word meanings and details about tests and surgery.
- Your procedure: what to know – Learn what to expect before, during and after your surgery at Penn State.
- Patient and Visitor Information – Find forms, resources and other helpful information for patients and visitors at Penn State.
Helpful online resources
- Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- The Acoustic Neuroma Association
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and reconstructive Surgery
- American Cancer Society
- American Head and Neck Society
- American Tinnitus Association
- The Meniere's Support Group
- The Oral Cancer Foundation
- Sir Charles Bell Society Page (for facial paralysis)
- The Vestibular Disorders Association
Our support groups
Head and Neck Cancer Support Group
All patients and family members are invited to join us for an afternoon of practical and up-to-date information on various aspects of head and neck cancer care. Hear how patients like you are living with head and neck cancer, ask questions and offer in put on topics for future meetings, speak with members of our care team, and share your thoughts with other attendees who have similar experiences.
Date, time and location
Meets the fourth Sunday of each month (with the exception of May and December) at University Conference Center from 2 to 3:30 p.m. on the campus of Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
ThyCa support group
Why attend your local ThyCa support group?
Support group meetings are an opportunity to meet people facing similar challenges to your own.
Benefits of joining a support group:
- Feeling a sense of empowerment and control
- Enhanced coping skills
- Gaining insight on new medical research and treatment options
- Less anxiety, distress or depression
- Better sense of what to expect with your situation
- Comparing and contrasting resources, such as physicians and care options
ThyCa support groups are free and available to all fighters, survivors and their families, friends and supporters. The local Penn State ThyCa support group is facilitated by Janice Schan, a thyroid cancer survivor.
Date, time and location
Meetings will be held the third Sunday of every month, noon to 2 p.m.
University Conference Center 302A
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
500 University Drive • Hershey, PA 17033
Cochlear Implant Support Group
The Audiology Department sponsors Pediatric and Adult Cochlear Implant Support Group Meetings. These meetings are open to all Cochlear Implant recipients, their families and friends. Our group provides unbiased information regarding the realistic expectations with implants, and offers support for post- activation aural rehabilitation.
Please call the Audiology Department at 717-531-7171 for further information.