Pathology – About
A Committed Team
The Department of Pathology is committed to excellence in patient care, education, and translational and basic research.
For more information about pathology services, call
Supporting the Penn State Health Mission
The Department of Pathology plays a vital and integral role in the medical center’s multifaceted missions.
Through provision of high-quality diagnostic services and the practice of laboratory medicine, the department supports the wide range of medical care provided at the institution.
We give high priority to training and developing the next generation of health care providers, biomedical scientists, and our workforce through the creation of educational experiences that introduce recent advances in medical and scientific knowledge and turn them into learning experiences through the use of modern instructional techniques.
We foster discovery and application of new information and technologies through:
- An environment that encourages analytical thought and investigation
- Laboratory facilities that provide technical expertise to support research
- A wealth of clinical materials that form a rich substrate for translational investigations
In everything we do in the Department of Pathology, we strive to create an atmosphere that promotes professional development and personal growth.
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI)
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - Main Laboratory
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) - POCT
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Inspections of Registered Labs
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - Main Laboratory
- Pennsylvania Department of Health (PA DOH) - POCT