Family Advisory Council
Hearing feedback from patients and their families helps us create a better, family-centered patient experience.
Our Family Advisory Council, made up of patients’ family members and hospital staff, identifies areas where the hospital could improve the patient and family experience and works to implement those changes.
Become a member
We welcome patients and family members of current and former patients.
The Family Advisory Council’s overall goal is to help the hospital embrace a culture of family-centered care. Specifically, we aim to:
- Communicate the needs of patients’ families to the hospital staff
- Promote effective partnerships between families and staff to develop creative solutions to challenges faced by our patients
- Encourage opportunities for other families to give feedback on services, programs, and policies
The Family Advisory Council addresses topics that they identify and ones that are brought to them from families, staff, and hospital administration.
Some of our past accomplishments include:
- Coffee stations located in family waiting areas
- Comfort Cart amenities
- Feedback on quality and safety issues, marketing campaigns, food services, and patient satisfaction initiatives
- Wellness initiatives
- Gift shop improvements
Our council is equally divided between family members and hospital staff. To become a member, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a patient or a family/caregiver of a patient who is receiving or has received care at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Commit to at least one year on the Council.
- Attend monthly meetings on the last Wednesday of every month
To join the Family Advisory Council, submit an application.
Nominate staff for the Lion Care Award
Celebrating the amazing respect and excellence our patients and families receive
In our hospital, patient and family-centered care is our culture. We believe patients and families should partner in planning for their care.
We created an award to celebrate those staff and faculty who embody the patient and family-centered values of Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
Nominations for the Lion Care Award are reviewed by the Family Advisory Council and winners are announced annually.
Nominees can include anyone who has a direct or indirect impact on patients and families. Nominations can be individuals or teams, anyone or any group that truly demonstrates the values of patient- and family-centered care.
How do I nominate someone or a team for the Lion Care Award?
It's easy! Anyone can nominate someone for the Lion Care Award. You can complete and submit the form online.
Once the form is received, someone will contact you to have a more in-depth conversation about your experience with the nominee.