We know your first concern is to be healthy and happy, so we offer financial assistance to help you overcome potential obstacles that medical bills may present to getting the care you need.
For questions related to financial assistance, call
On July 1, 2016, new Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations take effect, which change the requirements not-for-profit hospitals and health systems must meet to keep their tax exempt status.
The revised regulations - IRS Code 501(r) - were part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and will be implemented at Penn State Health hospitals and medical practices.
Changes include requiring hospitals and health systems to:
- A have written financial assistance policy (FAP) and “plain language summary” of the policy available to the public
- Limit the amounts that can be charged for emergency or other medically-necessary care to individuals eligible for financial assistance, charging only “Amounts Generally Billed” (AGB) for such care
- Refrain from extraordinary collection actions (ECA) before making reasonable efforts to determine whether an individual qualifies for financial assistance.
In response to the final regulations, the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and its Medical Group practices have revised financial assistance policies and processes.
Starting July 1, 2016, our revised financial assistance policy will go into effect. Under the new policy, patients who qualify will receive 100% financial assistance for medically-necessary services. Partial financial assistance awards will be discontinued.
You can download the new information on financial assistance below, including the new financial assistance application and “plain language summary” of our financial assistance policy.
Questions about financial assistance should be directed to Patient Financial Services at 717-531-5069 or 800-254-2619. Office hours are Monday-Wednesday 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Thursday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Polizza di Assistenza Finanziaria (policy)
- Pazienti che hanno bisogno dell’Assistenza Finanziaria (application)
In addition to standard financial assistance plans, we offer other services to help you pay your balance:
- Interest-free payments: We do not charge interest on healthcare balances or charge a fee for carrying a balance.
- Pharmacy assistance: If you have a problem paying for prescription drugs, we can connect you with our pharmacy specialist. She can work with you to find equal, low-cost prescriptions or other pharmacy programs directly from drug companies.
- Four Diamonds: This charity offers financial assistance for children who are diagnosed with cancer before the age of 18. The charity often assists with out-of-pocket medical expenses, lodging, and transportation.
Financial Services hours of operation
Monday: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday/Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Call Center Phone Lines: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Walk-in hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Academic Support Building
90 Hope Drive
2nd floor, Suite 2106
Hershey, PA 17033