What to Expect When Visiting Your Loved One
A visit in the hospital can be a source of comfort for you and your loved one. You can help maintain a healthy, healing environment for all our patients. Take some time to prepare for your visit, and follow a few simple rules and guidelines.
Call CareLine to get a patient’s room and phone number
Prepare for your visit
- Check visiting hours and guidelines for what you are allowed bring to the hospital.
- Get correct spelling of your loved one’s first and last name.
- Check the hospital’s policies, guidelines and security measures.
- Ask the nursing staff how many visitors are allowed in a patient’s room at one time.
- In critical care areas, ask nursing staff about special rules and guidelines.
Please respect our quiet hours from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. During these times, we:
- Lower the lights.
- Close doors to patient rooms.
- Ask everyone to lower their voices.
Give patients, families and the health care team privacy when it’s needed or requested. We offer comfortable areas for you to pass the time while you wait.
Our information desk can help
If you have questions, stop by our information desk after you arrive. Information desks are located:
- In the main lobby of the Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Near the entrances of University Physician Center (entrance 4), the Surgical Waiting Area and the Penn State Children’s Hospital