Psychiatry – About
At the threshold of change
Due to the extensive experience of our providers and faculty members, the Department of Psychiatry stands poised on the threshold of great and rapid change.
Advances in imaging and molecular biology are unlocking many of the brain's mysteries, allowing more personalized treatments based on our new understanding of pathophysiology.
Care where it’s needed
Whether it’s serving patients at Hershey Medical Center dealing with medical or surgical issues, providing care for outpatients, serving patients in one of our dedicated psychiatric clinics or in our psychiatric hospital, Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute, we provide care where and when it’s needed.
Commitment to research and education
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our department at its inception in 1971 and continues today. Our efforts include work on behavioral neuroimaging, molecular neuropharmacology, sleep research and treatment, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression, and substance abuse.
Strength of the Penn State Health system
As a part of the Penn State Health system, we have access to world-class expertise and specialists. Our team members work in close collaboration with specialists throughout Hershey Medical Center and the Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute.
- Erika F. H. Saunders, MD, Chair
- Edward Bixler, PhD, Vice Chair, Research
- Ahmad Hameed, MD, Vice Chair of Education, Adult Residency Training Director
- Mark Rapp, MD, Vice Chair, Clinical Services; Director, Consult Services
- Ehsan Syed, MD, Interim Chief Medical Officer, Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute
- Daniel Waschbusch, PhD, Associate Vice Chair, Research
- James Waxmonsky, MD, Vice Chair, Child and Adolescent Services