Pulmonary – Patient Education and Resources
Learn more about pulmonary health through related links and our free smoking cessation classes.
We’re committed to improving the lung health of our patients through care, education, and resources.
Tobacco facts you should know
Tobacco use, second-hand smoke, and environmental smoke greatly increase the risk of:
- Heart disease, circulation problems
- Stroke, brain aneurysm
- Respiratory infections and asthma
- Chronic lung diseases like emphysema and COPD in adults
- Miscarriage, stillbirth, prematurity and low birth weight
Tobacco use also:
- Reduces the senses of taste and smell
- Makes wrinkles worse, reduces softness of skin
- Is a major cause of erectile dysfunction
- Causes teeth discoloration
- Gives cloths, hair, breath, care and home an odor that others find offensive
- Sends an unhealthy message to kids
- Can affect the health of pets
- Nicotine is out of your system in three days
- Smoking and other tobacco use costs you time and money
- Insurance premiums may cost more if you have used tobacco products
- Out-of-pocket medical bills may increase
- Sick time or paid-time-off is used more
How to stop:
- Cold turkey
- Cutting back daily
- Combination of one of the above with drugs
Free smoking cessation classes are offered at Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
- Call the CareLine at 800-243-1455 to register and learn more about upcoming classes.