Heart and Vascular Institute – Fit Rx Program
Finding the right exercise program to fit you
Exercise is a key factor in reducing heart disease. Penn State Health Heart and Vascular Institute’s Fit Rx program provides an individualized fitness program for those with chronic health conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypertension and diabetes. Exercise is key component of a healthy lifestyle and can help prevent or improve many chronic health conditions. Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute’s Fit Rx program provides an individualized fitness program for those with conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypertension, and diabetes.
Located at Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute’s Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness facility at the West Campus Health and Wellness Center, each Fit Rx program is specifically designed to meet your unique needs and goals. A physician referral requesting an Evaluation and Exercise Prescription is required for this personalized program. Fitness programs will be written for home exercising or for exercising at a fitness center of your choice or at the Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center.
Fit Rx programs include:
- Eight one-hour small group sessions, supervised by an exercise physiologist.
- A thorough assessment of your health, completed by our diverse staff of exercise physiologists and registered nurses.
- Hip-to-waist measurements and body mass index (BMI) calculations at the beginning and end of your program.
- A fitness evaluation at the beginning and end of your exercise program.
- Development of realistic goals for your personal exercise and wellness program.
- Utilizing on-site state-of-the-art exercise equipment for cardiovascular exercise and strength training.
- Education on how to correctly assess rate of perceived exertion (RPE) for each exercise routine.
- Instructions on how to assess your heart rate with accuracy.
- Weekly review and adjustment of exercise routine.
- Heart rate and blood pressure tracking at the beginning and end of each exercise session.
- Personalized, home-based exercise or gym routines designed to meet your fitness level.
- Opportunity to enroll in the wellness program following completion of the Fit Rx program.
Please call us at 717-531-1552 to learn about our reasonable rates! The cost of this program may be covered by your health insurance carrier.
We encourage you to personally confirm your insurance coverage prior to enrolling into any of our Fit Rx programs.
Class schedules are variable and are based on program and individual needs of each participant. For more information please call 717-531-1552.
Convenient parking is available at the West Campus Health and Wellness Center, on the Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center campus. Locker, changing, and shower facilities are also available.
VAD Destination Therapy and Heart Failure Certification by the Joint Commission