Heart and Vascular Institute – Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Program
The road back to a productive lifestyle
Penn State Health Heart and Vascular Institute’s Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Program is a comprehensive program designed to help individuals recover from certain cardiac conditions, such as:
- A recent heart attack
- Cardiac stents
- Chronic stable angina
- Open heart surgery (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft)
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Heart transplant
- Heart failure
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
We are with you every step of the way
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- A cardiac evaluation is performed at the first appointment to gather information and assess current risk factors. A signed consent form is required prior to enrollment.
- An individualized exercise program is designed by an exercise physiologist and cardiologist to meet each individual’s specific needs and limitations.
- While the program length may vary, most individualized plans consists of three, one-hour sessions per week.
- Supervised activity includes use of a wide variety of upper and lower extremity exercise equipment. Heart rate, heart rhythm and blood pressure are monitored during all activities.
- A home exercise program is outlined for non-rehab days. This aids in maintaining maximum physical conditioning between visits.
- Other program features include nutrition and risk factor counseling, weight reduction, medication and stress management, emotional support, smoking cessation and lipid management.
Following completion of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, patients should be prepared to continue an exercise program on their own with periodic follow-up with their physician. For those who prefer a structured schedule, the Maintenance Cardiac Rehabilitation program is available. This phase of the program is also known as Phase III, or Wellness.
The Maintenance Cardiac Rehabilitation program provides ongoing, structured classes with minimal supervision.
Spouses of participants, as well as patients who have completed cardiac rehab at other facilities are welcome to join this program. Participants must be able to function independently and will be accepted following their physician’s approval, space availability and an evaluation by staff.
The program is held on the campus of Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center at the West Campus Health and Wellness Center, located at 10 Conference Drive, Hershey, PA 17033.
Convenient parking, in parking lot K, is available. Locker, changing and shower facilities are also available.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is covered by most insurance carriers, HMOs, and Medicare. Program costs and insurance plan coverage are discussed during the first appointment.
Sessions are available Monday through Friday. Call 717-531-1552 for class schedules.
Learn more about our wellness programs
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Programs have received national program certification through the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) and follow the practice guidelines as prescribed by the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American Heart Association (AHA), and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program also offers: