LionCare, founded in January 2002, is a free clinic run and staffed by medical students from Penn State College of Medicine. We are dedicated to providing free health services to the uninsured and underinsured population of the greater Harrisburg region and to also provide an engaging educational experience for our students. Those interested in appointments can contact us via phone at 717-257-4440, ext. 312.
Our clinic is located at 611 Reily St. in downtown Harrisburg next to the Bethesda Mission, which hosts the clinic on its grounds.
The patients we serve are individuals in transition who would otherwise not have access to healthcare. They include residents of the Bethesda Mission, the YWCA Women's Shelter, the Salvation Army Program, and the Community Corrections Center in addition to the homeless population of Harrisburg.
We offer a variety of clinics to meet the varied needs of the population. At these clinics we provide a range of services from general wellness checkups to acute care in addition to providing health education. Our clinics include:
- General health clinic
- Women's health clinic
- Cardiology clinic
- Orthopedic (joint management) clinic
- Psychiatry clinic
- Neurology clinic
- Dermatology clinic
- Pulmonology clinic
- Internal Medicine residency clinic.
We are pleased to be able to provide a wide range of services to our patients free of charge, including
- Comprehensive physicals: Driver's license, school, work and more
- Illness visits
- Medications, depending on availability
- Blood testing and urinalysis
- HIV / STI Screening
- Pregnancy Testing
- Women's Health Examinations: Pelvic & Breast Exams, PAP Smears
- Cholestech lipid profile
- Referrals to specialists or radiology
- Specialized orthopedic attention and physical therapy
- Psychological counseling and psychiatric help
- Skin exams and skin cancer screening
- Health education and community outreach
- A compassionate and listening ear
- A humanistic and wholesome experience
The clinic is also involved in a wide array of community outreach initiatives including health education, targeted screenings, blood tests, and vaccinations. We also dispense a wide variety of medications free of charge and refer patients as needed to other physicians. For more detailed information about our clinics, including a full list of services that we offer, please check out our Clinical Information pages.
LionCare is a non-profit organization, and monetary donations, either directly or via our Alternative Gift-Giving campaign, are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.