Palliative Care – Patient Education and Resources
At Penn State
Palliative Care Overview
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- Center to Advance Palliative Care
- End of Life / Palliative Resource (EPERC)
- Hospice & Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Pennsylvania POLST (Pennsylvania Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment)
About Our Volunteer Effort
The Association of Faculty & Friends (AFF) has supported the Palliative Care Service at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center for over 20 years by donating funds to help provide patients and their families with an enhanced layer of comfort. Additionally, the AFF has supported the Palliative Care service through its Palliative Care Initiative (PCI) committee of volunteers.
Our PCI volunteers donate their time and energy in a number of meaningful ways:
- Visit palliative care patients and families
- Participate in annual fund raising events such as the Highmark Walk, creating a cookbook, and many other events which benefit Palliative Care Service at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Support our Palliative Care team through assisting with the Annual Celebration of Life, Memorial Butterfly Release
- Sponsor a bereavement note program to send messages of support and caring to bereaved families along with helpful information about local resources for support while grieving the loss of a loved one
- Donate broad informational resources on palliative care (books, videos, CDs, educational syllabuses, etc.) to the Palliative Care Corner at the Hershey Public Library as well as to HMC's "Women Center" and update these materials routinely
In order to be a member of PCI, volunteers must:
- Participate in an accredited Hospice/Palliative Care training program based on a model by the National Hospice/Palliative Care Organization (this is arranged through the Palliative Care office).
- Meet HMC volunteer requirements.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Palliative Care Initiative, please call our office, and we will put you in touch with our volunteer organization.